Waipio Valley explorer
Explore the ancient breadbasket of Hawaii Island on this unique exploration of the lush Hamakua Coast.
Start with a drive between Mauna Loa and Mauna Kea volcanoes to Rainbow Falls in Hilo. This iconic waterfall features an 80-foot tall twin waterfall system. Look for the rainbow effect that gives the waterfall its name!
Continue the drive through the Onomea Scenic Route, a 4-mile section of the original old highway punctuated with historic wooden bridges, waterfalls, and lush tropical foliage. We'll stop at the famous Low Store for lunch. See the menu below.
Leaving Onomea behind, drive to Akaka Falls for a short walk through the fern forest studded with orchids to see this majestic beauty. Enjoy expansive views of the falls tumbling 440 feet.
Finally, we transfer to a four-wheel-drive van for the careful drive down into Waipio Valley. Known as the Valley of the Kings, Waipio Valley is a place of impossibly steep cliffs carved by waterfalls cascading more than a thousand feet to the valley floor. Once inhabited by thousands and now still home to taro farms and wild horses, Waipio Valley is a lush, mystical place rarely visited. Explore the valley before making the steep drive back out and returning to your hotel.
- This approximately 10-hour exploration includes wonderfully informative guides, round-trip hotel transportation, a delicious box lunch with snacks and beverages throughout the excursion.
- Round-Trip hotel transportation is provided from the Hilton's lower lobby bus depot.
- Vehicles: Comfortable walk-on 14- passenger vans
Daily Schedule: Not available on Sundays
- 9:05 am pm Guests gather in the Hilton's lower lobby bus depot.
- 9:15 am Hotel departure
- 6:00 pm - 7:00 pm Approximate hotel return
What To Know...
- Wear walking shoes, and bring a light cover.
- This excursion is not tough or strenuous. However, guests should be able to hike on uneven or rocky terrain. We sometimes encounter wet or muddy conditions.
- Not recommended for persons with respiratory or heart conditions, pregnant women, or those in poor health.
Lunch Menu to choose from when we stop
- Turkey Sandwiches: on a croissant or white or wheat bread with cheese, lettuce, tomato, mayo and mustard on the side.
- Ham Sandwiches: on a croissant or white or wheat bread with cheese, lettuce, tomato, mayo and mustard on the side.
- Egg Salad Sandwiches: on a croissant or white or wheat bread with cheese, lettuce, tomato, mayo and mustard on the side.
- Tuna Sandwich: on a croissant or white or wheat bread with cheese, lettuce, tomato, mayo and mustard on the side.
- PB&J Sandwiches: Made with organic peanut butter and guava jelly
- Vegetarian/Vegan and Gluten Free: Salad with lettuce, tomato, bell pepper, cucumber, carrots with papaya seed dressing.
- Vegetarian/Vegan: Veggie Wrap with lettuce, tomato, cucumber, bell pepper, carrots, papaya seed dressing OR organic hummus in a spinach tortilla
- Waters and juices
Exclusive Tour Cancellation Policy
- This tour maintains a 48-hour cancellation policy. Tours canceled outside of 48 hours of a scheduled pick up time will be refunded in full less a 15% cancellation fee. No refunds can be provided for any tours canceled inside 48-hours of a scheduled pick up time.
- $249.00 per person / inclusive of all state taxes.
Make reservations and note your menu options below
Please Note: This activity is NOT available on January 19th or on Sundays.